Monday 18 July 2016

Attack 2016 - Devizes and District Wargames Group


This Saturday I drove up to Devizes in Wiltshire in the company of my pal Vince to meet up with another mate, Mr Steve at this year's Attack 2016, hosted by the Devizes & District Wargames Group at their usual venue, Devizes School.


I have reported on Attack in previous years and despite the two hour drive up from Devon, I always look forward to coming to this lovely part of the country and to a very friendly club show.

The weather in the summer months cannot always be predicted, and on a previous visit we were treated to full on thunder and lightning summer storm that took out the electrics for a part of the time; but this year the sun shone and shone with a humidity that demanded taking lunch outside.

So with great weather and good company, lunch was extended for a good hour and a half, just chatting and enjoying the surroundings before wondering back round the traders and game displays.

As always I thought you might like to see some of the games that caught my eye, starting with the hosts WWII participation game, the Battle of Lilac Cove.


The Battle of Lilac Cove - DDWG
The next game up got a lot of attention from the camera because it ticked the boxes of a JJ's Wargames game in that the eye was rewarded with a great attention to detail and fine modelling.

Battle for the Seelowe Heights demonstration game was presented by The Ex-Herford Wargamers.

Battle for the Seelowe Heights - The Ex-Herford Wargamers






Not really my thing, but I can think of a few DWG club members who would appreciate me taking a picture of the Martian invaders in this All Quiet on the Martian Front offering (2nd Martian Invasion USA 1910) by fellow Devon wargamers the Plymouth Wargames Club.

Not so Quiet on the Martian Front - Plymouth Wargames Club
The Flames of War competition seemed to be well attended, with some fine painting and modelling on display, although track to track tanks and competition gaming is not my thing, nice looking games can still be appreciated.



And finally, I didn't end up buying much other than a great bargain off the bring and buy stand when I spotted a game I have been looking out for for years since its publication in 1987. The Fury of Dracula is a favourite within the club after a few boozy sessions at various wargame holiday centres over the years, chasing Dracula around Europe, and was on the stand for just £10, complete and the original version to boot. Needless to say Tom and Will and maybe even Carolyn are looking forward to giving this little bargain a run out at some time.

In addition to my little bring and buy find, I also bought a few raffle tickets for the show draw and ended up with a prize, Big Arnie, a mounted cowboy Orc from Miniaturemen. Don't worry, JJ's Wargames will not be moving away from its historical traditions, and I have a feeling Big Arnie will, after getting a paint job, be moving to a new home for an appropriate transfer fee.


The Fury of Dracula game components, complete and in good nick.
Big Arnie, yet to be painted and found a home
Next up, more treasures from the British Museum.

11 comments:

  1. Hi, this is out local show and like you we always tag along, have done for decades. Like you my was drawn to similar display games, Lilac cove was simply charming, Seelow was impressive too.
    I'll post some of our haul and some piccies at some point! We ordered something very big...
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy, we had a great day out and I guess the fact that we keep going year on year speaks highly for the show which I hope I have captured a flavour of here.

      Ordered something big eh, I'm intrigued. I bet you were spending time among all those packs of Perry's!
      Cheers
      JJ

      Delete
  2. Excellent day out JJ and you picked up "Fury of Dracula" for much less than I paid for it !

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Vince, really enjoyed your company, and Tom and Will were thrilled to see my prize, and I don't mean the Orc.

      JJ

      Delete
  3. I've been going to the Devizes Show for many years - since it was held in the Corn Exchange right in the town centre. I fully agree it's always one of the most relaxed and friendly shows on the southern circuit. I like the venue because it breaks up the crowds into manageable groups so you can always get at the trade stands. It's unashamedly a club show - very few of the big,sexy demonstration games and no (?) attempt to run the participation games that are seemingly obligatory elsewhere (and which are rarely of any interest to me). So - good range of games and traders, sensible door price, reasonable parking (if you get there early) - long may they keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason, hear hear. We also used to go to the Corn Exchange and I echo your comments that the nice club show feel didn't change with the change of venue, but the parking certainly improved.
      Cheers
      JJ

      Delete
  4. I agree with all said about the show. I went on the Sunday and have gone to their shows for over 25 years now. I only tend to go to 2 or 3 shows a year but this one is the best as far as I am concerned. I will even endure the drive through Swindon to take the route past Avebury and Roundway Down to get to it! A lovely drive and a super show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason, it's really great when your thoughts and feelings about a given subject are validated by your peers, so to speak and it is obvious Attack has developed a keen following over the years for the reasons mentioned. The historic countryside is a bonus and we delighted coming over the tank training grounds on Salisbury Plain as we came in off the A303, where my Dad did his pre-Normandy training with Guards Armoured.
      JJ

      Delete
  5. Good morning, I am quite delighted to read your account and comments about Attack! 2016. As DDWG club secretary I will confess we are unashamedly a club show; we do our best with a limited number of members to plan, organise and set up Attack!, worse still is the breaking down and storing our competition boards and acres of carpets used to protect the floors of the two gyms. Your words make the huge effort all the more worthwhile.
    I hope to see you all next year - the provisional dates are 15/16 July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philip, and as Chairman of the DWG, greetings to the DDWG. My pleasure, as you will have read, myself and other members of the Devon Wargames Group have been travelling to your club show since the days of the Corn Exchange and I always believe that voting with the feet is the sincerest form of flattery, so well done and keep up the good work.
      JJ

      Delete