Tuesday 16 May 2017

Portsmouth 2017 - U Boat War Badge Postscript


In response to my post about the collection at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum in Gosport, 'Mr Steve' mentioned that he thought he had a U-boat War badge somewhere in his treasure box, where ever that was.
 
http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/portsmouth-2017-royal-navy-submarine.html

Well, having rummaged high and low, he found it!

This U-Boat crew member can be seen wearing his U-Boat War badge, bottom right
If this is an original and not a replica then it appears to be a mid-late war badge. Whatever its origins it is a nice thing to have in the treasure box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-boat_War_Badge

Thanks for sharing Steve.


2 comments:

  1. It looks like a reproduction to me. I've seen an original and the casting was much crisper, with wear to the high points of the plating (as you would expect after 70 odd years).

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree its a tricky one,Unfortunately I don't know where my Uncle got it from as he just handed over what he had collected along with an Iron cross ribbon so as far as I know he could well have swapped them with his mates or just as easily won them at cards.
    Only being 11 or 12 at the time I didn't ask a lot of questions especially as we weren't allowed to discuss the war with him.

    ReplyDelete